Maggie Kodra

Maggie Kodra

Monday, March 24, 2014

Our Baby Girl is Here!



Well…our little Maggie Kodra is finally here! And already a month old and we can’t believe it.
I feel like it took forever for her to finally get here. I kept having contractions on and off and sometimes they would last for a couple hours but never would really progress. I was 2 centimeters dilated for like 2 weeks! My mom was going crazy in New Mexico, because she was going to jump in the car as soon as I was “in labor”…but nothing was happening. I had a feeling she was coming on the 8th, and that came and went…then her due date came (which my doctor was out of town that week, so I didn’t really want to have her without my doctor) and went and still nothing. Finally 5 days after her due date, I went and saw my doctor, and she decided they were going to induce me on the 21st. Finally the end was in site, and I was terrified! Mom, Jenny, and Dad were on the road and we were set to go! The morning came and we weren’t able to go in right away because the hospital had an insane amount of babies being born that day! We finally got checked in at 11:30 and the Pitocin was started. My doctor walked in looking like the plague sick with the flu, so after all of that I still wasn’t going to have my doctor deliver Maggie! L Getting induced was pretty terrible and I was banned to stay in bed…so shortly after being there I asked for an epidural! Holy cow it was awesome! Once I got that, it was awesome to sit around with everyone playing games…pain free!! The nurses came to check me and found that I was still only at 2 centimeters! I was so discouraged. Everyone headed to dinner and while everyone was out, I told my mom that I felt different…so we call the nurse back in, to which she very calmly said “you should have Anton come back because you are 10 centimeters”. I was so ecstatic! I went from 2 centimeters to 10 in just 1 hour! We were pumped that the end was in site and figure we would have a baby within 2 hours. After 2 hours of pushing, and no progress, we discovered that our Maggie had flipped and was now head up, with her head stuck! The nurses and doctors were trying everything they could do to get her head to turn, and I was getting pretty frustrated. Once the doctor threatened that he was going to make me have a C-section, I was more than ever motivated to get this baby to turn. With the help of an awesome nurse and great doctor, we got her head to turn, and she dropped right down. With just another hour of pushing our Maggie was born! 12:03 am on the 22nd! (the doctor asked us what day Anton and I wanted her birthday to be…Anton choose the 22nd that way it would be easy for him to remember hehe!) I was so relieved to be done, but felt bad that Maggie had such a rough delivery. Her head had been stuck for a couple of hours, and they ended up using a vacuum to get her out. They were concerned that they had broken her clavicle...but luckily it was ok, Maggie was just really tender for a couple of days. I was so grateful for the nursing staff, my labor and delivery nurse was off the hook! I also really enjoyed the on call doctor. Dr. Quinn was so great at calming me down, and giving me the boost of energy I needed to get through it. He also predicted that I was going to have a 9lbs baby…and whoop whoop….our precious lunker Maggie came in weighing 7 lbs 2 oz. We struggled in the hospital with nursing, sleeping, and being parents to a baby, but I was so grateful that my mom was there, and so many nurses were willing to do what they could to help. There were nights where the nurses and I would all be crying…eventually we figured it out. Then they discovered that Maggie had Jaundice and was strapped to the blue lights. We had to keep her on the lights constantly, and were only allowed to take her off for 30 minute feedings. We were able to leave the hospital after 3 days, but had to keep her on the lights at home which was the worse days ever! Not at all like a fun tanning bed haha! It’s so hard to strap a screaming crying baby to blue lights. Luckily it only lasted a couple days, and then we were home free. Free to figure this whole thing out, and man was it tough. Us trying to figure out how to be parents, and Maggie trying to figure out how to be a baby. It was so nice having my mom around to teach me all the tricks, me and Maggie only cried for like 3 days straight when she left.  Maggie wasn’t a fan of sleeping at all…and when we went to the doctor we figured out that she had acid reflux and that’s why she was feeling so miserable. Once we got on medication and a major adjusted diet….we got a whole new baby! She sleeps…eats on schedule…is content to sit and look…and loves to show us the best facial expressions ever! She still has fussy moments, but we are getting to know Maggie better and can actually make her stop crying!!! Holla! Now I have a mother in law just a room away which helps a ton…because i'm actually getting some sleep! So we are living the life, one day at a time! We cannot wait for Anton to finish out the semester, we hate that he leaves the house for 12 hour days. Luckily only a month left! I know it’s hard on Anton, when he gets home, he demands that he gets to hold Maggie, no matter what time it is…he definitely has a special place for this little girl, and she loves it! But one things for sure…Maggie loves her mommy when she is really fussy! J It’s awesome being Maggie’s mom! We are so glad our precious Maggie is here and has joined our family. We lover her to pieces! And i'm not being biased...isn't she just the cutest thing on this planet??????? :)









2 comments:

  1. This sounds so much like my experience with Oliver. He was born turned the wrong way, facing up, we had a hard time breast feeding and he had acid reflux. So if you ever need any advice, let me know. She's a beautiful baby! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, yes I knew there was someone in the family with a similar situation...its rough right? Everyday gets better, but there in the beginning we all really struggled! Thanks so much, we love her! Hope your family is doing well!

      Delete