Maggie Kodra

Maggie Kodra

Monday, June 30, 2014

Week One!


I can't believe we have been here for over a week. Time has really flown by, and I can happily say we are having an absolute blast. I tell Anton multiple times a day, that I really enjoying living on base, and I really enjoy where we live. The apartment is working out great. The only thing I don't like are the lights. Japan is all about energy efficient stuff, so the lights take about 5 seconds to turn on and they flicker for the first 3 seconds before they glow...its like creepy grudge status (which is real because we are in Japan now haha!). Maggie seems to enjoy her bedroom in the closet, and I don't really feel like I'm going stir crazy cause we leave all the time, and the different parts of the apartment seem to break things up. The base is really empty, since school is out, most families are back in the states visiting for the summer. Also the "boats" just got shipped out and there were some air force groups deployed, so mainly just contractors, navy wife's, and security are here. I really like it that way!
Everyone adores Maggie. Almost everyone we pass or see has to comment about it. They love how alert she is. This one Navy guy with 2 daughters of his own walked by, then stopped and came back with the 2 girls trailing behind to tell me that he thought Maggie was the most beautiful baby he had ever seen! haha I thought it was cute. Its hilarious because the Japanese people always talk to Maggie in Japanese, and they are so smiley that Maggie ALWAYS responds with a big grin. She's doing this cute thing where she grins at you, and then turns and hides her eyes cause she embarrassed. Its adorable. 
On Saturday, we rented a car and went down to Yokosuka Base. It was supposed to be about an hour drive, but with traffic it took us almost 3 hours. Thats typical of getting anywhere in Japan. There roads are seriously the worst designed system ever...they would really benefit from Utah's grid system haha. Being in the car usually consists of me telling Anton that he's going to hit the car on the left...I really thought he hit a car once....we bet $20 on it, and I lost...so I guess that was a good thing. Some signs are in English, some in both English and Japanese, and some just Japanese. Its interesting, but with how many English signs there were, most Japanese people don't speak any English, and if they do its so messy that really all you can say is yes, and hope that was the answer they were looking for. Anton has mastered the art of nodding his head like he knows what they are saying, then turning to me after and saying, "Well I have no idea what he just said, but I saw a sign 20 minutes ago that might help us" haha thats what being out in the wild is like (wild=being outside the base). The Yokosuka base was huge! they have a hospital, lots more shopping, multiple schools, and they are on the water's edge so they actually have boats in port. They are huge! We just walked around and explored. Maggie was good mostly. She absolutely loves Hello Kitty....psych! :)
Since we rented the car Saturday, we also got to use it for church Sunday. So glad we didn't have to walk the first day. The church building is beautiful!! It reminds me of being in the Albuquerque Temple. Since its summer, and most people are visiting the states, the branch was so small, I think there was about 30 people, and 1/3 of that is missionaries. When we asked the branch president about that he said that most wards in Japan having about 10 missionaries. SO COOL! Anton's calculates that the church was only 1 mile away from the edge of the base (since we can drive the company car to the edge of the base then have to walk the rest). Although i'm still convinced that the mile is like 3 miles actually...whatever. Well we are going to Disneyland this weekend which we are so excited about!

All in all things are going great. Stay posted for pictures from Disney!! ;)
Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment